Monday, March 16, 2009

book: a short history of tractors in ukraine

I've always had a soft spot for the Soviet Bloc. Don't ask, I really don't know why either. So when my wandering eyes fell upon this little gem on the bookshelves, it's propaganda-esque cover caught me immediately.

But I have been fooled before by interesting covers, so I wasn't about to dish out 20-30 bucks for another snore. At the time, you see, I was at the airport stores awaiting check in. I had about an hour to kill at my hands so I figured a quick flip read wasn't going to kill me. I loved it! It was witty fast paced and Marin Lewycka exudes a personality Stephanie Meyer can never dream of.

The storyline of the book brings out a deep sense of family. Despite the sibling rivalry between the sisters and their mutual love/heart towards their father, it reminds us that the ingrained tension is a result of a need for approval from those we care most.

Anyway the descriptions are hilarious, (I especially enjoyed "Botticellian breasts") the style is sassy and its'a book you won't feel guilty about reading later. So go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment